Does that error message sound familiar? If so, some of the resolutions below might fix it.
How can I fix Counter-Strike update errors?
1. Select an alternative download region
- Right-click Steam’s system tray icon and select Settings, in order to select an alternative download region in Steam.
- Click Downloads on the left of the Settings window.
- Select an alternative region on the Download Region drop-down menu.
- Press the OK button to close the window.
- Restart Steam after changing the download region.
2. Clear Steam’s Download Cache
- Select Steam, then Settings on Steam’s left client menu.
- Select Downloads on the Settings window.
- Press the Clear Download Cache button.
- Click OK to confirm.
- Thereafter, log in to Steam again.
Steam includes a Clear Download Cache option that can fix download issues or games that don’t start. So, that option might come in handy for fixing the An error occurred while updating counter strike global offensive (invalid app configuration) error.
3. Run Steam as Administrator
- Right-click Steam.exe within the software’s folder and select Properties.
- Select the Compatibility tab shown directly below.
- Click the Run this program as administrator check box.
- Select the Apply button.
- Select the OK option.
4. Turn Off the Windows Firewall
- Click on the Type here to search button on the taskbar to open Cortana.
- Enter firewall in the search box, and select to open Windows Defender Firewall.
- Click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off to open the options shown directly below.
- Select the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall options.
- Click the OK button.
Some Steam users have stated that turning off the Windows Defender Firewall fixed the An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike error for them. So, the error message is often due to the firewall blocking Steam. Users can turn off the firewall in Windows 10.
5. Turn Off Third-Party Antivirus Software
- Open Run with the Windows key + R hotkey.
- Then open the System Configuration window by entering ‘msconfig’ in Run and clicking OK.
- Select the Selective startup radio button.
- Uncheck the Load startup items check box.
- Select the Load system services and Use original boot configuration check boxes.
- Click the Services tab shown directly below.
- Select the Hide all Microsoft services option first.
- Then click the Disable all button to uncheck all the third-party services check boxes.
- Select the Apply option to confirm the new settings.
- Then click OK to close the window.
- Press the Restart button on the dialog box window that opens.
- Open Steam and launch Counter-Strike again. If the game updates and starts, then you probably need to get rid of the antivirus software.
The An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike error can also be due to third-party antivirus software, which include firewalls. Steam users have fixed the issue by uninstalling antivirus utilities.
At the very least, some players might need to disable their antivirus software by right-clicking the utilities system tray icons and selecting a disable or turn off setting.
If that isn’t enough, try clean booting Windows. That will remove third-party antivirus utilities, and other software, from the startup.
6. Delete the Appcache Folder
- Close the Steam client software if it’s open.
- Open File Explorer.
- Open the Steam folder, that has the following File Explorer path: C:Program FilesSteam or C:Program Files(x86)Steam.
- Select the appcache subfolder and press the Delete button to erase it.
Those are a few of the resolutions that have fixed the An error occurred while updating Counter-Strike for most Steam users. You can also set up a Steam Support account to send a support ticket.
We’d like to hear more from you on this subject, so drop us a comment in the comment section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Steam update errors:
- How do I fix an error in Counter Strike Global Offensive when it is updating?
There are various solutions to solving this problem and you can see witch one suits you the best by accessing our guide on fixing An error occurred while updating Counter Strike error.
- Why do my Steam updates keep stopping?
Certain Steam settings might generate this error along with many other aspects. Check out all the causes and the correspondent solutions in our complex article on fixing Steam updates not downloading.