- If you have any other security program installed, uninstall it. Bitdefender usually disables Windows Defender upon install, but with other third-party tools, it might not do the same.
- Run removal tools for any other security software you may have had that was previously used on the computer, then reboot. Sometimes these remnants may cause Bitdefender not to auto-update.
- Uninstall your current version of Bitdefender and reboot.
- Run Bitdefender removal software and restart your computer again then try reinstalling it.
2. Turn on automatic updates
- Open the Bitdefender window.
- Go to the Update panel.
- Click the switch to turn on Automatic Update.
Note: If you want to turn it off, a warning window will appear and you have to confirm your choice by selecting how long you want to disable it for.
Since it is a critical security issue, it is recommended you disable automatic updates for as little time as possible. If not updated regularly, the tool won’t protect you against the latest threats.
3. Turn off activity profiles
Bitdefender runs some special operation modes such as Game and Work that enhance system responsiveness and performance during certain activities such as game streaming or laptop presentations.
Game Profile, for instance, modifies protection settings temporarily to minimize their impact on the system’s performance.
Bitdefender automatically detects a known game or app in fullscreen and enables its antivirus setting to permissive, disabling pop-ups and alerts, auto-scan, safebox auto-sync, and automatic updates.
Work Profile minimizes the impact on power consumption as your laptop runs on battery, thus features such as auto-scan, auto-update and safebox auto-sync are also turned off.
If you want Bitdefender to always stay on autopilot so it can auto-update, turn off these profiles. To do this:
- Open Bitdefender main interface.
- Click Settings on the upper toolbar.
- Go to the Profiles tab.
- Disable the Activate Profiles Automatically option.
4. Check that Bitdefender is properly set up
- Open Bitdefender.
- Click on the gear icon on the lower left side of the main interface.
- Click the Update tab.
- Ensure that the update settings are correct.
- Go to the Bitdefender firewall.
- Click on the shield icon in the interface.
- Click View Modules.
- Click the gear icon in the Firewall module.
- In the adapters tab, ensure the firewall is properly set up: Network type – home/office, stealth mode – off, and generic – on.
5. Send the error message to Bitdefender support
- Open the main Bitdefender interface.
- Access the Settings menu.
- Select the Update tab.
- Click on the Critical tab and you should see the exact error message.
- Send it to the Bitdefender support team.
Let us know if you managed to fix the Bitdefender auto-update issue using these solutions. Leave a comment in the section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in July 2018 and was completely revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.