4. Run the SFC scan
- Open the Windows search bar and type cmd.
- Open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
If Windows 10’s troubleshooter didn’t get the job done, we’re going to try with the SFC scan. This command-line tool resolves various issues within the system, and it might be helpful.
However, if you encounter issues with Sfc /scannow, it stops before finishing the task, you can use our complete guide to diagnose and fix the issue.
5. Run the DISM tool
- Follow the first 2 steps from the above solution.
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) is a powerful tool that freshly deploys the system image. And that process can eliminate potential BSOD issues.
6. Remove / disable problematic applications
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run dialog.
- Enter msconfig and press Enter or click OK.
- When System Configuration window opens, select Selective startup and uncheck Load startup items.
- Go to Services tab and check Hide all Microsoft services. Click the Disable all button.
- Click Apply and OK to save changes.
- Now start Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + Esc on your keyboard.
- When Task Manager opens go to Startup tab.
- Right click each item on the list and select Disable from the menu.
- After you disable all startup applications close Task Manager and restart your computer.
Many third-party applications can cause BSoD errors to appear, and in order to fix this error, you’ll have to find and remove the problematic applications.
The simplest way to do that is to perform a Clean boot by following the above steps. When your computer restarts, check if the error appears again.
If there’s no BSoD error, it means that one of the disabled applications or services was causing it. Now, all you have to do is to figure out what is the app causing issues.
To find the problematic service or application you’ll have to repeat the same steps, enable services and applications one by one until you find the one that is causing this problem.
7. Reset your Windows 10
- Restart your computer few times while it boots to start Automatic Repair.
- . You can also do that by holding the Shift key and clicking the Restart button.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything. During this step you might be asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be ready to do that.
- Choose Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files.
- Click Reset to start the Windows 10 reset and follow the instructions.
If this error is caused by certain software, you can fix it by performing Windows 10 reset. To complete Windows 10 reset, be sure to create a bootable USB flash drive by using Media Creation Tool.
Since Windows 10 reset is similar to clean install, it’s highly advised that you back up your important files since this procedure will delete all files from your C drive.
After you’re done, you should have clean installation of Windows 10, without any third-party software. If the error appears again, it means that it’s caused by your hardware.
8. Check your hardware
Blue Screen of Death errors such as BUGCODE ID DRIVER are often caused by your hardware, most commonly RAM, so be sure to test your RAM modules one by one until you find the faulty one.
If your RAM is working, be sure to check other hardware components. Few users reported that this issue was caused by overheating, so we advise you to clean your computer case.
Dust can fill your CPU or GPU fan, and that can increase the temperature of your PC and cause your system to crash, so be sure that your computer is clean from dust.
BUGCODE_ID_DRIVER Blue Screen of Death error can be a major problem, but you can usually fix this error by following the above steps provided in this guide.
If you have any other issues with your personal computer or a suggestion that we should include in this guide, please let us know in a comment below.