Note: If you’re not on the computer that has the install issue, save the Fix It tool to a flash drive or CD, then run it on that computer.
This fixes corrupted registry keys on 64-bit OS, or those that control update data, issues preventing new program installs or existing programs from complete updates or uninstalls, as well as problems blocking you from uninstalling a program from the Control Panel.
To run the Program Install and Uninstall troubleshooter, you have to download it and then double click to open it. Click on the Next button and follow the on-screen instructions.
4. Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
- Go to Control Panel and from the right upper corner, select to view small icons.
- Click Troubleshooting.
- Click View all..
- Click Windows Update and select Next then follow the instructions to run this troubleshooter.
5. Check if Windows Update services is running
- Right-click Start and select Run.
- Type services.msc.
- Find Windows Update service under the Services window and see if it is running.
- If it isn’t running, from the left side click Start to start the service.
6. Run DISM tool
The Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool fixes Windows corruption errors that may be existing when you can’t install anything on Windows 10.
It is a great built-in tool in Windows 10 that will scan and fix your files. Additionally, you can use it when errors prevent SFC from running properly.
So, if SFC is corrupt and doesn’t work you can use DISM to restore it. To enable and learn how to use it, follow our complete DISM guide.
7. Turn off User Account Control (UAC)
- Type UAC in the Windows search box, and open it.
- To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify.
- Click OK.
- To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level.
- Click OK.
- Reboot your computer to effect the changes.
Note: Turn UAC on after checking, as it can help prevent unauthorized changes to your computer, and notifies you when changes are going to be made to your computer that requires administrator-level permission. These types of changes can affect your computer’s security or other people’s settings on your computer. Leave it to help make your computer secure.
The above solutions should help you to fix any corrupted files from your operating system. Once they are prepared, you can install any software you need.
Let us know if you have any further issues or if you found a solution among these listed here by leaving a comment in the section below.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in July 2018 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.