Simply launch it, let it scan your Pc for problematic drivers, allow it to download and install them, and you’re all set.
3. Disable your antivirus’ firewall
Some users reported that they are also experiencing this particular DotA 2 error due to their firewall interfering. so another solution that you should try is to either disable Windows 10 Firewall, or that of your antivirus.
While this could potentially fix the issue, you will be left exposed without a firewall to protect you, especially if you forget to turn it back on after you’re done playing.
So, instead of disabling your firewall, you could try using an antivirus tool that has better firewall flexibility, or at least on that is easier to turn off and back on again, such as BullGuard.
4. Verify the integrity of the game cache
- Open your Steam Client > go to Library.
- Right-click on DotA 2 and select Properties.
- Under Local Files > choose Verify integrity of game cache…
- Wait until the process has finished and try to run your game again.
Another way to repair corrupted files is through Steam‘s integrity checker.
5. Install DotA 2 on another drive
This issue may be triggered by some corrupted files on the drive. If you have a SSD or a second hard drive, install DotA 2 there and the problem should disappear.
6. Winsock reset
- In the Windows search box type cmd, right-click the first result, and select Run as administrator.
- In cmd, type netsh and then press Enter.
- Now, type winsock reset, press Enter and wait until your computer restarts.
7. Delete certain folders
7.1. Delete the Download folder
- Go to
- Delete the downloading folder
- Steam will download the update again
7.2 Delete the Common file
- Go to
- Look for a DotA 2 file without an extension
- Delete it
- Hit play on the game in Steam and this should let you launch the game.
7.3. Delete any 0 KB files
- Go to
- Navigate to Steam > Steamapps > common
- Scroll down and when you see a 0 KB file, delete it
- Restart your DotA 2 update
There you go, we hope these solutions helped you fix the DotA 2 update disk write errors on Windows 10 and you can enjoy the game.
If you are aware of another way to solve the update disk write error in DotA 2, please post it in the comments section below along with any other questions.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in January 2017 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.