If a certain driver is outdated or corrupted, that can cause DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER Blue Screen of Death error to appear.
Using the Device Manager to update your drivers is simple, but that might not be the best solution.
According to users, Device Manager doesn’t always download the latest drivers, so if you want to have the latest drivers installed, it’s advised that you download the necessary drivers manually.
To do that, simply visit your hardware manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your device.
Users reported issues with Atheros wireless driver, so be sure to update this driver first, and then move to other drivers.
3.2 Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically.
Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
DriverFix will help you update drivers automatically and prevent PC damage caused by installing the wrong driver versions. After several tests, our team concluded that this is the best-automatized solution.
4. Run the BSoD troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app and go to Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Select BSoD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
Windows 10’s troubleshooting tool can be used for dealing with all sorts of system errors. Including the BSOD issues. So, it’s the next thing we’re going to try.
5. Run the SFC scan
- Type cmd in the Windows search tab and click on Run as administrator under Command Prompt to start the app with full privileges.
- Enter the following line and press Enter: sfc/scannow
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
System File Checker checks for corrupt system files, and repairs them, if possible. So if a corrupt system file is the cause of the DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER error, this tool will likely resolve it.
If you’re having trouble accessing Command Prompt as an admin, then you better take a closer look on this guide.
6. Run DISM
6.1 Run DISM the standard way
- Open Command Prompt as shown in the previous solution.
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
6.2 Run DISM using a Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Start Command Prompt as shown in the previous solution.
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- Make sure to change the X value with the letter of the mounted drive with Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
For this solution you’ll need a Windows installation media. If you want to know how to create a bootable USB drive with Windows 10 on it, follow the simple steps from this useful guide.
Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM), as its name says, re-deploys the system image all over again, and resolves potential issues along the way.
So, it’s also possible it will resolve the DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER error.
7. Check the hard drive
- Enter the Advanced Startup (Restart your computer while holding the Shift key).
- Choose Troubleshoot and select Advanced Options.
- Select Command Prompt from the list of options.
- When Command Prompt appears, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
- Some users are also suggesting that you need to run additional chkdsk commands as well.
- To perform these commands, you need to know drive letters for all your hard drive partitions.
- In Command Prompt you should enter the following (but remember to use the letters that match your hard drive partitions on your PC):
- This is just our example, so keep in mind that you have to perform chkdsk command for every hard drive partition that you have.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.
Sometimes BSoD errors like DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER can appear due to corrupted files on your hard drive, and in order to fix this problem, you’ll need to check your hard drive by using chkdsk command.
If you have problems running the chkdsk command, check out this expert guide to fix any issues with it.
8. Uninstall the problematic software
Third-party software can also cause BSoD errors to appear, therefore it’s important that you find and remove the problematic software.
According to users, the cause for this error was Deamon Tools, so if you have this application installed, we urge you to remove it in order to fix this error.
Users also reported that Rapport plug-in for Internet Explorer can cause DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER error, so be sure to remove this plug-in.
Another application that can cause this error is Folder Lock, therefore we advise you to remove it from your PC.
Common cause for BSoD errors can be your antivirus software, and in order to fix this error, we advise you to temporarily remove all third-party antivirus programs.
Bear in mind that uninstalling the program might not fix the error since many antivirus programs tend to leave certain files behind once you uninstall them.
To ensure that your antivirus is completely removed from your system, we advise that you use dedicated removal tool.
Many antivirus companies have these tools available for download, so be sure to download one for your antivirus software.
9. Change the G-Sync settings
According to the users, G-Sync settings can sometimes cause DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER Blue Screen of Death error to appear.
To fix this issue, you need to set G-Sync to Fullscreen and Windowed from G-Sync settings.
10. Reset Windows 10
- Restart your computer a few times during the boot sequence to start Automatic Repair.
- Choose Troubleshoot, select Reset this PC and click on Remove everything (During this step you might get asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so be sure to have one ready).
- Choose Only the drive where Windows is installed, select Just remove my files and click the Reset button.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the Windows 10 reset.
If this error is caused by software, you should be able to fix it by performing Windows 10 reset. Resetting Windows 10 will delete all files from your C drive, so be sure to back them up.
We have to mention that you might need a bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10 in order to complete this step, so it’s a good idea to create one.
If Windows 10 reset doesn’t fix the problem, it means that DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER error is caused by your hardware.
Need more info on how to factory reset your PC? Read this article and find out everything you need to know.
If you can’t reset your PC for some reason, we’ve got an excellent guide to help yu fix that problem.
11. Check your RAM and other hardware components
Your hardware can often cause these types of errors, and if you installed any new hardware recently we advise you to remove it or replace it and check if that fixes the error.
If you risk voiding any warranty by replacing the component yourself, call your vendor or manufacturer for such a replacement.
DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER Blue Screen of Death error is usually caused by problematic applications or outdated drivers, and you can easily fix this error by using one of our solutions.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to drop them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to take a look.
FAQ: Learn more about BSoDs
- What does driver overran stack buffer mean?
DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER is a BSoD error pointing to a hardware or a driver problem. Here’s a great list with the best software to fix BSoD errors.
- How to fix driver overran stack buffer?
There are software that can fix BSoD errors automatically but you can also check out full guide to fix DRIVER OVERRAN STACK BUFFER error.
- Will replacing my RAM solve the Stack Buffer error?
As long as you make sure that the new RAM components are compatible with your other PC components, you should no longer get the Stack Buffer BSoD.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in November 2017 and was revamped and updated in February 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.