Reading through different user experiences with similarsuggests that the can occur due to several reasons.
Bad external driver letter, incorrect download location, wrong letter in disk management, and corrupted content are some of the reasons.
In this article, we have listed a few easy ways to fix the Former volume not mounted error in Windows 10.
How do I fix former volume not mounted error?
1. Remove and reconnect the external storage device
- Turn off your computer and disconnect the external hard drive.
- Restart your PC and reconnect the drive.
- Launch the torrent client and check if the drive is detected by the app.
Reconnecting the storage device will force Windows OS to reassign a letter to the external drive.
This may resolve the issue if triggered due to an incorrect drive letter. If the error persists, proceed with the other steps below.
2. Reconfigure the download location
- Launch the Torrent client that is causing the error and right-click on the torrent file.
- Go to Advanced and select Set Download Location.
- Next, navigate to the directory where the torrent files are stored.
- Click on Select Folder once you are in the correct directory.
- Restart your torrent client and check for any improvements.
Installing a Windows update can trigger the error if the torrents is referencing a download path that does not exist.
It can also occur if you have abruptly removed an external drive that was saving the in-progress downloads.
To fix the problem, simply relocate the original download location of the existing torrent files and set it as the torrent’s download location.
Repeat the steps if the error is triggered on multiple torrent files.
3. Match the download drive letter
- Launch the uTorrent client on your PC.
- Click Options from the menu and select Preferences.
- In the Preferences window, click on the Directory tab from the left pane.
- On the right pane, check if the drive letter matches your current configuration. If you are using an external drive, make sure the drive letter matches.
- If necessary, change the drive letter and click Apply to save the changes. Click OK to close the Preferences window.
- Restart uTorrent and check if the error torrent error former volume not mounted is resolved.
Your PC may alter the drive letter allocated to an external hard drive that is used to save the downloads and regularly disconnected from your PC.