Alternatively, you can free up hard drive storage by manually deleting some of your largest files.
To do that, you’ll just need to find the largest files on your PC‘s hard drive first. We’re here to help you out with that.
How do I search for files by size in Windows 10?
1. Use a third-party tool
A dedicated file finder tool such as Copernic Desktop Search will help you with the utmost accuracy to find documents depending on your needs.
The tool comes with a Refine search feature to allow you to dig deep into the computer files and get exactly what you’re looking for.
As a result, you can search a file by:
Copernic comes in several subscription versions, including a free one, that has some limitations, in terms of the file types it retrieves.
However, you can rest assured that the most popular ones (such as Office files, Outlook emails, and attachments, text documents, archived, and multimedia files) are covered.
After finding the largest files, in case you need to keep some of them, you can still free up HDD space by moving the files from your hard drive into Google Drive or OneDrive cloud storage.
Copernic Desktop Search
Find any type of document not just by their size, but also by type or saved date with this first-rate tool.
2. Use File Explorer
- Press the File Explorer button on the Windows 10 taskbar.
- Select your C: drive or an alternative drive partition to search for files on. (Alternatively, you can select a specific folder to search for files in.)
- Click inside the Search box to the right of Explorer’s window to open the Search tab.
- Select the All subfolders option.
- Click the Size button to open the drop-down menu shown below.
- Select the Gigantic (>128 MB) option to search for the largest files. (File Explorer will then list all files that eclipse 128 MB within your selected directory or drive.)
- Press the Type button to further modify your search.
- Select to search for a more specific file type, such as image, music, or video.
- Erase files by selecting them and pressing the Delete button.
- Select the Empty Recycle Bin option in the Recycle Bin to erase the deleted files.
Although many users utilize Cortana to search in Windows 10, File Explorer remains the best built-in utility for file searching.