This useful tool can help you fix general update issues so that you can finish installing the latest OS updates on your PC.
If you’re running Windows 10, go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshooter and run the update troubleshooter as shown in the screenshot below.
If you’re running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you can launch the Update troubleshooter from Control Panel.
Type troubleshoot in Contol Panel windows, open the tool and select View All to list all the troubleshooting tools. Locate and run the Update troubleshooter.
7. Reset Windows Updates components
- Launch Command Prompt as admin again.
- Stop the Windows Update Services by typing the following commands and hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder by typing the commands:
Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Restart the Windows Update Services by typing the following commands:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Exit Command Prompt, restart your computer and check if you can install the latest updates.
8. Install updates manually
If the Windows Update service is still not working, try to install the problematic updates manually.
For example, if you’re trying to install the latest hardware driver updates, go to the manufacturer’s website and get the updates from there.
If you’re trying to install the latest Windows patches, go to Microsoft’s Update Catalog, enter the KB number of the respective update(s) and hit the download button.
If you’ve carefully followed the methods above, you now have a working Windows Update feature on your device.
If you need further assistance, you can write to us in the comments section of the page situated below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2015 and was revamped and updated in October 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.