Plex is a media player system that allows users to store their media files on a server and then access them from any device of their choice. However, recently, people have been getting the Plex not finding files error on ubuntu, Synology and some users are also getting the plex not finding files on hard drive error.
In this article, we have compiled a detailed guide to help you fix this issue completely using some easy to apply solutions. Make sure to follow the guide carefully in order to ensure complete eradication of this error. Also, keep in mind to read through the reasons due to which it occurs.
What Causes the Plex not Finding Files Issue?
After reading through some basic troubleshooting guides, we came to the conclusion that the following are some of the most important reasons due to which this error occurs.
- Improper Naming of Files: It is possible that you haven’t used the proper naming scheme for your media files due to which you are running into this issue. It is best that you follow the appropriate naming scheme as suggested by Plex to fix the Plex not finding files issue.
- Server Issue: If your server hasn’t been properly configured, you will get the Nvidia plex not finding files my cloud issue, therefore, it is best to follow the second method listed below to fix this issue completely.
- Improperly Sorted Files: It is very important that you have sorted your media files according to the recommended format by plex or else you will be getting this issue while trying to access them from the server.
- Folder Permissions: In some cases, the folder permissions aren’t properly configured to allow the server to be able to access the files. Therefore, it is recommended that you reset these permissions as we have stated below to completely fix this issue.
Now that you have read through almost all of the reasons behind this error, we feel like we can finally move on towards fixing the plex not finding files issue.
Fixing the plex not finding files on hard drive issue:
Solution 1: Name Files Properly And Reboot
Files should be named appropriately and according to plex’s advised naming and organizing scheme. Click on this link to see the naming and organizing scheme devised by plex. Follow that advised mechanism by plex to resolve this issue and afterward reboot your device. Turn “OFF” your device and wait for approximately 3-4 minutes until all of the power capacitors are discharged. Afterward, turn “ON” your device, refresh 4-5 times and hopefully, plex not finding files on the hard drive issued will be resolved now.
Solution 2: Change Server
Sometimes, due to server crashes, plex can’t find files in libraries therefore, to resolve this issue, you can change your server by using a VPN on your device. VPN can be downloaded easily from the respective AppStores of your devices and afterward as you would’ve been shifted to a new server hopefully, the plex not finding files Synology error would be resolved.
Solution 3: Sort your files
If your files are properly sorted and organized in folders, it becomes easier for plex to find files so it is advised to keep music, movies, and season’s files in their respective folders. Movies or music having a single file can be saved in one folder. TV shows having multiple files i.e. episodes of a single season must be stored in separate folders. For example: Make a folder of Game of Thrones and in this folder make 8 separate folders for each season to organize them properly.
Always add the year of release because there can be other versions of the same file. Most probably after organizing your files, you would’ve gotten rid of this issue on windows as well as plex not finding files ubuntu.
Solution 4: Manually edit plex metadata
- Open the plex’s desktop application and search for the media that is needed to be fixed.
- Once you’ve found the required media, move the pointer over the thumbnail.
- A pencil icon will become visible in the lower-left corner of the thumbnail.
- Click on this pencil and a window will pop up where you can edit all info of your selected media.
- Now try again to search the file in plex and hopefully, you will get rid of Nvidia plex not finding files my cloud issue.
Solution 5: Enable plex media server
- For this purpose, you need to open your plex application.
- Now proceed to the “Settings” icon located at the top right of the application and choose “Plex media server”.
- Look for the “The server version number” option under the Settings.
- Click on that option to enable the plex media server, run the application again, and try finding your files.
Solution 6: Re-include media
A media file might be containing a special word or character that is responsible for hindering the files. There are many types of content like BDMV, IMG, VIDEO_TS that are basically “disk image” format. This file format is not supported by the plex media server so files are automatically excluded while scanning. Another reason can be the use of .plexignore file. The best remedy for this issue is to rename the file and again include it in the library and it can be done by changing the format type of media.
Solution 7: Recheck your copying methodology
When you copy content to drive and navigate directly to the content area it is observed that when the content starts to copy, the Plex Media Server scanner can detect the change and it waits for 60 seconds. It will perform a library scan if nothing else changes but if the content being copied takes more than a minute, then there may be a situation where the scan takes place before the copy is complete hence, making the content not available for scanning. The next scan would not look in the index because it doesn’t appear to have changed its direction from the previous scan. This issue can be resolved by following the steps indexed below:
- First of all, copy your content to a temporary folder in the drive.
- Now, wait until the content is copied in the drive.
- Once this procedure is finished, content can be moved to its standard content location.
Solution 8: Use an SSD USB
- First, you need to disconnect the server drive.
- After disconnecting the server drive, plug this drive into your PC and copy all of your desired movies, shows, and all other media in their respected folders.
- Now plug this drive into your router.
- Run the plex app and delete all the existing libraries.
- Finally, add a new library to import the content in their respective folders.
- Launch the Plex app and try searching your desired content to see if the issue is resolved.
Solution 9: Reset folder permissions
- Press “Windows’ + “R” to open the run prompt, type “Control panel” and press enter.
- Now open the control panel from search results and go to the shared folder and edit your media folder.
- After that, navigate to the “Permissions tab” from where you have to disable all the permissions for user plex.
- Click “OK” and close the editing window.
- Now again open the edit window and set either “R/O” or “R/W” permissions for user plex.
- Once again click on “OK” and close the edit window.
Solution 10: Tweak folder permissions
- Open file location and right-click on the media folder which you can’t find in plex.
- Now navigate to “Security -> Edit -> Add”.
- After that add the plex application to the list and click on “Edit/View” permissions.
- Don’t forget to select the “Apply to this folder, sub-folders, and files” option.
- Click on the “OK” button, run the plex, and try finding files again to check whether the plex not finding files on the hard drive issue is resolved.
Plex doesn’t have the feature of extracting the files from zipped or archived folders. File types like (RAR, GZIP, ZIP, TAR) will be immediately ignored by plex while scanning and in order to solve this issue, you must delete the file from plex. Then extract the file on your PC and add it again to the plex media server. Once these steps are done, try finding files again, and most probably plex not finding files Synology issue would be resolved.
Hopefully, the issue might have been resolved up till now and if you need further assistance, contact us here.