- Open a File Explorer window.
- Click the View tab and then click Options.
- Deselect Use Sharing Wizard (Recommended) at the bottom of the Advanced Settings section.
- Select Show hidden files, folders and drives.
- Click Ok.
3.2 Change permissions for Adobe PCD and SLStore
- In File Explorer, right-click the Adobe PCD or the SLStore folder, and choose Properties.
- Click the Security tab and set permissions:
- Administrators: Full Control
- System: Full Control
- Administrators: Full Control Power Users: Everything but Full Control and Special
- System: Full Control
- Users: Read and Special
Perform this procedure two times, once each for the Adobe PCD and the SLStore folders. You can find these folders in the following locations:
- SLStore: ProgramDataAdobeSLStore
- Adobe PCD: Windows 32 bit: Program FilesCommon FilesAdobeAdobe PCD or Windows 64 bit: Program Files (x86)Common FilesAdobe Adobe PCD
3.3 Change ownership
- Click Advanced and, if asked, accept the User Account Control (UAC) elevation prompt.
- Click the Owner section, select Change.
- Enter the desired username and click Check Names. Now click OK.
- Select Replace Owner on Subcontainers and Objects. Now check Replace all chide object permission entries and click Apply and OK to save the changes.
The instructions above will help you set permissions to the Adobe PCD and SLStore folders in Windows 10.
4. Update your graphics card driver
According to users, sometimes you might be able to fix Adobe error 16 simply by updating your graphics card drivers.
Many users claim that they managed to solve the issue simply by updating their drivers, so you might want to try that.
Updating your graphics card driver is quite simple, and in order to do it, you just have to visit your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest version for your model.
We also have a detailed guide on how to update graphics card driver, so you might want to check it out.
If you don’t want to download drivers manually, you can also use automated software that will download the necessary drivers for you with just a single click.
5. Create a new SLStore folder
- Go to the following folder and navigate to the directory of the application you’re trying to run:
- Now right-click the empty space, and choose New, then select Folder from the menu.
- Enter SLStore as the name of the new folder.
Now try to start the application again and check if the problem is resolved.
According to users, sometimes Adobe error 16 can occur if you don’t have the SLStore directory on your PC.
This directory should be located in the installation directory of your Adobe product, but if the directory is missing for some reason, you might encounter this error.
If you can’t create a new folder in Windows 10, we’ve got the right fix for this problem.
6. Install Adobe Application Manager
If you keep getting Adobe error 16, you might be able to fix the problem simply by installing Adobe Application Manager. This is a tool created by Adobe, and you can download it for free from Adobe’s website.
Once you download and install Adobe Application Manager, the issue should be completely resolved and you’ll be able to run applications without any problems.
7. Paste adbeape.dll into the installation directory
Sometimes missing DLL files can cause Adobe error 16 to appear, but you might be able to solve the problem by copying adbeape.dll to the installation directory.
To obtain this file, it’s best to copy it manually from another PC that has Adobe products installed.
Once you copy this file to the installation directory, simply run the problematic application as an administrator and the issue should be resolved.
8. Change the attributes of the SLStore folder
- Locate the SLStore folder It should be located in the Adobe CC installation folder.
- Once you locate it, right-click SLStore and choose Properties from the menu.
- Locate the Attributes section and make sure that the Read-only option isn’t enabled. Now click Apply and OK to save the changes.
After making these changes, try to start the application again and check if the problem is still there.
As we already mentioned in one of our previous solutions, the SLStore directory can sometimes cause the Adobe error 16 to appear.
However, you can fix the issue simply by changing a few attributes from the SLStore folder.
9. Reinstall your Adobe products
If you keep getting Adobe error 16, you might be able to solve the problem simply by reinstalling the application. Sometimes your installation might be corrupted and that can lead to this and many other errors.
To fix the problem, it’s advised to remove the problematic Adobe product from your PC. In addition to uninstalling the application, you also need to remove the following directories:
C:Program FilesCommon FilesAdobe
C:Program Files (x86)Adobe
C:Program Files (x86)Common FilesAdobe
By removing these directories you’ll ensure that all leftover files are removed. After doing that, simply install the application again and the issue should be resolved completely.
Removing leftover files manually can be a problem, but there are special tools that can help you with that.
If you want to completely remove an application from your PC, including both leftover files and registry entries, you can do that easily with specialized applications.
Uninstaller software is a special application that will remove the selected application along with all of its files and registry entries. If you’re looking for good uninstaller software, we suggest you try IObit Uninstaller.
After you remove the problematic application with this tool, simply install it again and the issue should be completely resolved.
If you have any difficulties, we have a complete guide on how you can remove software leftovers from your Windows 10 PC.
As you can see, fixing the Adobe error 16 is relatively simple, and we hope that you solved this problem by using one of our solutions.
If you have any other suggestions or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments section below and we’ll be sure to check them out.
FAQ: Read more about the Adobe error 16
- Why is my Adobe account not working?
Try accessing it with a different browser. Here’s our list with the best browsers for Windows 10.
- How do I fix Adobe Error 16?
There are couple of possible issues causing the 16 error but we have an excellent guide that can help you fix this error.
- How do you fix a configuration error?
There are numerous causes for this problem but we have an excellent guide on how to fix several Adobe Creative Cloud issues on Windows 10.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in April 2017 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.