How can I fix the AutoIt error?
1. Run a malware scan
The AutoIt Error is often due to malware known as Veronica. Thus, it could be a very good idea to run a Malwarebytes scan if you need to fix that issue. Malwarebytes is one of the most highly-rated utilities for detecting and removing malware.
The full Malwarebytes Premium version provides real-time malware detection on top of its scanner utility with which users can manually run scans. This software can purge worms, rootkits, Trojans, ransomware, and viruses from your PC.
Other Malwarebytes features
- Its users can select alternative Light and Dark themes
- Malwarebytes incorporates a Play Mode feature for excluding notifications from games
- The Allow List feature in Malwarebytes enables users to add software exclusions
- This software also blocks dodgy websites
Remove all malware and fix malware-related errors easily with Malwarebytes.
2. Edit the registry
- First, open the Run tool by right-clicking the Start button and selecting that accessory on the menu.
- Enter this command in the Open box: regedit.
- Click OK to open the Registry Editor.
- Click File on the Registry Editor window. Select the Export option to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Enter a file name for the registry backup.
- Choose a location for the registry backup file.
- Press the Save button.
- Open this registry key path:
- Next, look for these REG_SZ strings in the Run registry key: AdobeFlash, Windows Update, Adobe Update, and Google Chrome. Right-click all those REG_SZ strings and select Delete to erase them.
- Then open this key in the Registry Editor:
- Repeat the 9th step for the LOCAL_MACHINE Run key you’ve just opened.
- Close the Registry Editor, and restart your PC to see if the issue persists.
After making these changes, the AutoIt error should be gone.
Note: The REG_SZ strings specified above will include autoit3.exe, windowsupdate.lnk, googleupdate.a3x, or googleupdate.lnk within their data paths. Entering those data path keywords within Registry Editor’s Find tool should also locate the REG_SZ strings you need to erase.
3. Uninstall AutoIt
- Open the Run window.
- Type this Programs and Features command into Run: appwiz.cpl
- Next, select the AutoIt program listed.
- Click the Uninstall option for AutoIt.
- Select Yes if a confirmation prompt opens.
- Restart your desktop or laptop after uninstalling AutoIt.
You can uninstall AutoIt and more thoroughly erase its leftover files and registry entries with third-party uninstaller software.
4. Remove AutoIt scripts from startup
- Download Autoruns.
- Extract it, locate its executable file and run it as administrator.
- Now input autoit3 in the Filter box.
- Locate AutoIt, right-click it and choose Delete.
You can remove AutoIt scripts from the Windows startup with Autoruns. That’s one of the most detailed startup monitor tools for Windows. By using this tool, you should be able to fix the AutoIt error line 0 error opening the file message.
5. Reset your Windows 10
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Update & Security section.
- Select Recovery from the left pane. In the right pane, click on Get started button in Reset this PC section.
- Choose the option to keep your files and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once the process is finished, you’ll have a fresh installation of Windows ready.
Keep in mind that Factory reset will remove installed applications, so you’ll have to install them once again.