We made sure to provide you with a set of tools that can open the DDS file extension.
How can I open DDS files?
1. Add NVIDIA Texture Tools Plugin to Photoshop
- Click Download on the NVIDIA Texture Tools page.
- Choose your OS version.
- Click the Photoshop_Plugin installer to install the plug-in.
- After installing the plug-in, open Photoshop and click Filter.
- Select NvTools > NormalMapFilter to open the window shown directly below. That window includes numerous options for DDS files to open in Photoshop.
Manage your DDS files like a pro with the latest version of Photoshop, and enjoy the full creative experience.
2. Use File Viewer Plus
File Viewer Plus is a universal file opener software, fully compatible with theWindows 10 architecture that users can open DDS images.
After installing the program you just have to open it and find the DDS file that you want to view. The toll also offers some editing options.
The bulk conversion feature is useful, as well, in case you need to have a batch of files using another popular format.
3. Use DDS Viewer
- Download DDS Viewer from the software’s download page.
- Open the installer to allow the program to install.
- Launch the DDS Viewer software.
- Then select a DDS file on the Open window.
- Click the Open button.
- Resize the DDS file by entering alternative values in the Width and Height boxes and clicking the green tick button.
- Press the Rotate Image Left and Rotate Image Right buttons to rotate the DDS file.
4. Convert the DDS File to PNG
- Open the Aconvert DDS to PNG converter in a browser.
- Click Choose files to select a DDS file to convert.
- Then click PNG in the Target format drop-down menu if it’s not already selected.
- Press the Convert Now button.
- Then click the Save option to download the new PNG image.
Although it is not insanely popular, the DDS format can prove to be quite useful especially for storing graphics textures and game maps.
Which tool will you pick? Share your choice with us in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about DDS files
- Does Photoshop support DDS?
Photoshop does support DDS format and it allows you to edit DDS images through the NVIDIA Texture Tools plugin.
DDS (Direct Draw Surface) is an image file format that Microsoft established as a container format for raster images with compressed and decompressed pixels. It is often used for texturing video game unit models.