How can I run a JAR file on Windows 10?
- Add Java to Windows
- Download a JAR file opener
- Use Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Run a JAR file from the Windows Command Prompt
- Add a third-party JAR executor to Windows
1. Add Java to Windows
The crucial thing you need upfront is to have Java installed. Without it, Java apps aren’t going to run in Windows. This is how you can install or update Java in Windows 10:
- First, open Command Prompt(Admin) by pressing the Win key + R keyboard combination and entering cmd in the box.
- Next, input java -version in the Command Prompt and press Enter. It will then provide further details on your Java version as below.
- The current version of Java is Version 8 Update 131. If you don’t have Java or the most up-to-date version, you can add it for free.
- Run through the Java setup wizard. Then, open your browser to verify that the program is working.
2. Download a JAR file opener
You can open JAR files and hundreds of different formats with a single application. File Viewer Plus is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 300 different file types.
The new updated version has a plethora of features that will save you big time on opening, viewing, or editing files.
File Viewer Plus supports the most popular text, audio or video file type, as well as archive, source code or web files.
File Viewer Plus
Opening just about any type of file is at the tip of your fingers with this easy-to-use program.
3. Use Java(TM) Platform SE binary
- Open the File Explorer and the folder that includes the file you need to run.
- You should right-click the JAR file and select Open with from the context menu.
- Click Choose another app and then select to open it with Java(TM) Platform SE binary.
- Click the Always use this app to open JAR files check box.
- Press the OK button to close the menu.
- Now you can run the selected JAR, and all other JARfiles will also be associated with Java.
4. Run a JAR file from the Windows Command Prompt
- Press the Win key + X hotkey and select Command Prompt (Admin) to open it as administrator.
- Then input the following command (replacing the example with the actual path of the file you need to run) and press Enter:
java -jar c:pathtojarfile.jar
- Alternatively, you can open the folder that includes the JAR in the Command Prompt first by entering cd / followed by the directory. Then, you can input java -jar file.jar without the folder path.
That will open the executable JAR file so long as it contains a manifest file to specify the application’s entry point. (The developers should have already included that in the archive.)
If you develop your own Java programs, you’ll need to convert the JAR to an executable format.
5. Add a third-party JAR executor to Windows
There are also executor programs for Windows that enable you to run JAR files the same as any other program. Jarx is one of them and you can add it to Windows by clicking Jarx-1.2-installer.exe on this page.
Click the jarx.exe to run the software, which doesn’t really have a GUI as such (except an About jarx window). Then you can double-click the JAR files to run them in Windows.