The current lineup of authentication methods includes Windows Hello Face, Windows Hello Fingerprint, Windows Hello PIN, Security key, Password, and Picture Password.
If you opt in to the new passwordless login, the password option will disappear from you Login screen.
If you don’t see the Windows Hello log in options in your settings, it’s possible that your device doesn’t support this feature.
How do I log in to Windows 10 passwordless?
- In your Windows search box type settings and click on the first result. You can also do it by clicking on the Start button and then on Settings.
- In the Settings app, click on Accounts.
- In the left panel, click on Sign-in options. Now you’ll see multiple authentication methods.
- In the right section, under Make your device passwordless, turn the feature ON.
- If you don’t have Windows Hello set up yet, at the next sign-in you’ll see the setup experience.
That’s it. Now you can log in to your Microsoft accounts or Windows 10 device without the need of a password.
What are the benefits of passwordless authentication?
If you’re wondering why you would want to use passwordless authentication, it’s because it offers more security and a seamless sign-in experience.
Passwords are often reused on multiple accounts, which makes them susceptible to hacking. A PIN code, for example, is much more secure because is stored on your device and not shared online.
Windows 10 stores your PIN on a secure local chip called Trusted Platform Module (TPM). In case of server or online issues, your private key won’t be affected.
So, any of the other Windows Hello sign-in options are more secure than a password.
If you’re interested in how you can skip the login screen on Windows 10, check out this dedicated guide and learn how to do it yourself.
In case you are interested in eliminating some of the many passwords used for various platforms, check out this list with the best password managers for Windows 10. It’s the most convenient way of taking this load off your chest.