- Use the Windows media driver to insert a bootable CD or Flash Drive.
- Change the boot preference from your hard drive to recovery drive in the BIOS.
- Boot from your recovery drive.
- In the setup window, select your language and click Next.
- At the bottom left corner, click on Repair your computer .
- Select Troubleshoot option and in the Advanced Options, select Command Prompt.
- When the command prompt appears, enter the following command and hit enter to execute it
The check disk utility will scan the system for any bad sectors in the hard drive and try to repair them if necessary. After the repair is done, exit the Command Prompt window and shut down the system.
You should remove the recovery drive and try to boot from the hard drive. If repaired, the short DST failed error should be solved.
If you have an antivirus program installed, try to disable it temporarily. If that does not work, you can also try to uninstall the antivirus program completely from the system.
You can also use the Restore Point option to restore your PC to an earlier point. For this, you again need the recovery drive if you are unable to login to your PC.
Another efficient solution is to boot from the recovery drive. In order to perform this action you should go to Troubleshoot then access Advanced Options to select System Restore.
Now all you have to do is select any of the previously created restore points to fix this issue.
The most common cause for when the hard drive short DST check failed on your HP, is a defective hard drive due to corruption or damage. If the laptop is new, you can contact the service center and claim the warranty.
Before that try to connect the hard drive to any other computer and see if it recognizes it.
However, if the laptop is out of warranty, you may need to purchase a new hard drive for your laptop.
You can recover your data from the old hard drive using a USB-SATA Adapter.
As you can see the solutions for how you can fix the hard drive short dst check failed error are easy to follow. Even if your hard drive is not functioning properly as you’ve seen there is a way to recover your data.
We want to hear more from you on this subject so please drop us a comment in the section below.
FAQ: Learn more about
- How do I fix hard drive short DST check failed?
One cause for this issue might be interfering software. See all the aspects that are to blame for this issue along with the according solutions in our comprehensive article on how to fix short DST hard drive error on HP laptop.
- How do I fix a hard drive error?
Running a disk cleanup is always a good idea in this situation. Find out how you can solve this problem in our great guide on fixing hard drive errors in Windows 10.
- Can a corrupt hard drive be fixed?
A great solution to fix a hard drive is to use a high-quality recovery tool. Check out which are the best external hard drive recovery software in our article.