In this article, we will guide you with easy to follow step by step instructions in order to solve the issue.
How can I open Jar files on Windows 10?
1. Use File Viewer Plus 4
You can open .jar files and hundreds of different formats with a single application. FileViewer Plus 4 is a universal file viewer for Windows that can open and display over 400 different file types.
You can also browse, edit, and convert text and image files. Furthermore, it features a decompression tool, so you can easily decompress your archived files.
It is a great tool to try when you have to open files that you aren’t sure what software you should use. File Viewer can open less common file formats, like source code files.
File Viewer Plus 4
Open and view your .Jar files with this great universal file opener tool.
2. Reinstall or update Java Runtime Environment
- Press Windows Key + I to open the Settings .
- When the Settings opens, go to the Apps section.
- Locate Java from the list and choose the Uninstall option.
- After doing that, navigate to Java’s website and download the latest version of the software.
- Open the folder where you saved it, right-click the Java install wizard and select Run as administrator.
- Press the Install button to install Java.
- Once installed, check if the problem is resolved.
Note: Keep in mind that it’s not mandatory that you remove your previous Java installation, so you can skip that step and just install the latest version on top.
Java will also automatically check for updates, and if updates are available you’ll get a notification. To update Java, simply click the notification and choose the Update option. Now follow the instructions to complete the update.
3. Set file association
- Right-click the jar file and choosing Open With > Choose another app.
- A list of suggested applications will appear. Click on More apps.
- Scroll all the way down and choose Look for another app on this PC.
- Locate the java.exe file. It is usually located in Program FilesJavaJava versionBin folder.
- Select the application and click OK button to set it as a default for .jar files.
- Click the Jar file to launch its program.
Note: Jar files can’t run on your PC if you don’t have the proper associations. For example, jar files can be associated to run with other applications or they could lack file association completely.
4. Use Jarfix
If you can’t open jar files on Windows 10, you might be able to fix the problem by using Jarfix. As previously mentioned, these types of problems can occur due to file association, but you can fix them easily with this simple application.
To do that, firstly download Jarfix. then run the application and follow the instructions on the screen. Keep in mind that you need to run this application as an administrator for it to work properly.
After using this application, you should be able to run jar files on Windows 10 without any issues.