However, several users have reported the JNLP file not opening issue when trying to access the file. Even if you have the required software to open .jnlp file, it may fail to launch automatically.
Since the JNLP files are program-specific, your computer may fail to recognize the software required to execute the file.
In this article, we take a look at what is a JNLP file format and how to resolve the JNLP file not opening problem in Windows computers.
What is a JNLP file?
Java Network Launch Protocol (JNLP) format contains information such as the remote address for downloading a java program and other classes. JNLP files are used for launching and managing Java applications over a network.
JNLP files are usually in the XML file format. To view and edit the file, you must have a text editor with the XML file format. To execute the file, your computer must have Java Runtime Environment installed.
While JNLP is part of Java Web Start technology, it comes bundled with Java Runtime Environment to open the JNLP files.
How do I open a JNLP file in Windows 10?
- Download and install Java Runtime Runtime Environment. Run the installer and follow on-screen instructions to install the program.
- Right-click on the JNLP file that is not opening and select Open With.
- In the ‘How you want to open this File’ window, scroll down and click on Look for another app on this PC option.
- When the File Explorer window opens, navigate to the following location:
C:Program Files (x86)Javajre1.8.0_261bin
- Select javaws.exe and click the Open button. This will open the JNLP file as intended.
- Make sure to check the Always use this app to open .jnlp files option in the How do you want to open this file window to save JRE as the default app to open this file.
If the JNLP JNLP file is still not launching, proceed with the next set of steps below.
Install 64-bit JRE edition
- Visit Java download center.
- Scroll down and click on Windows offline (64-bit) link to download the offline installer and wait for the download to complete.
- Once the download is complete, double-click on the installer to run it. Follow on-screen instructions to install the app.
- Once installed, reboot the computer. After the restart, try opening the JNLP file and check for any improvements
If you are using a 64-bit edition of Windows, you may need to manually download and install the 64-bit JRE version.
Several users have reportedly fixed the JNLP file not opening problem by installing the correct edition of the Java Runtime Environment.