6. Check your antivirus software
If your laptop camera doesn’t work or open, or you get an error saying that the laptop camera cannot be found or cannot start, it may be caused by antivirus software that is blocking it or an outdated webcam driver.
In this case, check your antivirus software and look for settings related to blocking access or permission to use your webcam. You can also visit your antivirus software company’s website.
7. Check the camera privacy settings
- Click Start, and select Settings.
- Type webcam in the search field box.
- Select Camera privacy settings.
- Check if the Let apps use my camera toggle is On.
Is your laptop camera’s privacy settings turned on? Follow the above steps to execute this.
If you want to know more about Privacy setting and how to change them on Windows 10, check out our detailed guide for this matter.
8. Create a new user profile
- Click on Start, and select Settings.
- Choose Accounts.
- Click Add someone else to this PC
- Fill in the form with the user name and password. Your new user account will be created.
- Click on Change account type.
- Click the drop-down arrow, and choose Administrator to set the account to administrator level.
- Restart your PC.
- Log in to the new account you just created.
You can also create a new user account and check whether your laptop camera works under the new profile, then change settings to administrator privileges, and check if the issue of the laptop camera not working persists.
If the issue goes away, then it may mean your other user profile is corrupted.
You can try the following in case of a corrupted user profile:
- On your new account, use it to downgrade your usual account.
- Click Apply or Ok.
- Raise back your old account to its default admin level.
- Rinse and repeat a few times as this will help to remove any corruption.
- Leave your account on as Administrator.
Check whether the laptop camera works when using the newly created account. If it does, then you can either fix the old user account or migrate to the new account.
As an alternative, you can use an external webcam. Sometimes, this may be the best solution, especially if you want higher quality photos and videos.
Take a closer look at our best 4K webcams list for quality video conferences, and find the proper one for your needs.
9. How to fix the webcam issues on specific laptop models
1. Lenovo laptop camera not working
- Turn off camera privacy mode
- Go to Lenovo Settings, and click on the camera
- Locate Privacy Mode
- Disable the privacy mode, and check if the camera is working now
- Update the camera driver
- Launch the Device Manager
- Go to Imaging Devices
- Right-click on Lenovo EasyCamera
- Select Update Driver to install the latest driver updates
- Check the settings of the problematic program
If your Lenovo laptop camera is not working in particular programs, make sure the Lenovo EasyCamera is set as the default camera for those programs.
2. MSI laptop camera not working
- Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter from the Settings app (Update & Security > Troubleshooter)
- Re-enable your laptop camera:
- Press Fn-F6 to turn on the webcam
- Click on the TurboBattery + icon
- Select the Windows icon from the toolbar
- Click on the webcam to enable it again on the laptop.
3. HP laptop camera not working
- Make sure your HP laptop webcam is set as the default camera in the program you’re using
- Update the webcam driver using the Device Manager
- Uninstall other webcam drivers and programs which may cause conflicts with your HP webcam
- Disable the webcam from the Device Manager
- Go to Imaging devices
- Right-click on your HP webcam
- Select Disable
4. Dell laptop camera not working on Windows 10
- Check your webcam privacy settings and make sure Windows 10 is allowed to use the webcam
- Run Windows 10’s built-in Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Install the latest webcam driver updates using the Device Manager
5. Asus laptop camera not working
- Make sure your webcam is turned on
- Install the latest OS and driver updates
- Disable unnecessary processes running in the background
Let us know in the comments section below whether any of these solutions worked to resolve the laptop camera issue. Also, leave there any other questions you may have.