4. Try running Malwarebytes in the Safe mode
- During the startup, when the Windows logo appears, press and hold the Power button until the PC shuts down.
- Power on the PC and repeat the procedure 3 times.
- The fourth time you start the PC, the Advanced recovery menu should appear.
- Choose Troubleshoot.
- Select Advanced Options and then Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- Choose Safe mode with Networking from the list.
- Start Malwarebytes and scan for malware.
- Restart PC afterward and check whether the Malwarebytes start or not.
As you probably already figured out, the main goal here is to get Malwarebytes to run once. After that, the tool will remove all threats, including the ones preventing it from working.
Now, another way to do so while avoiding a third-party infliction is to boot your system into the Safe Mode with Networking.
This should vastly limit malicious software and you should be able to start Malwarebytes without major problems along the way.
5. Rename the mbam.exe to explorer.exe
- Navigate to
- Right-click on the mbam.exe and choose Rename from the contextual menu.
- Rename mbam.exe to explorer.exe and run it.
Some users managed to get the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware suite to start by renaming the executable file. There’s a high chance that its execution is prevented by a malicious presence.
You’ll need administrative permission in order to rename this file. And, after you’ve managed to start Malwarebytes, perform a scan and get the executable file its default name. It should work now.
6. Use third-party software
The situation that caused Malwarebytes not to open may be caused by the operating system being infected with viruses or malware. We recommend you use third-party software in this regard and solve this issue.
This is a fast and light software that can be used by everyday users or dedicated gamers to protect their computers. It can be used on any Windows, Mac and Linux devices.
Feel free to watch your favorite movies, play some of the newest games available or create amazing presentations for your work or school. Once it starts scanning and repairing your system, this software will not require a lot from your computer’s resources.
The third-party software will scan, detect and remove any viruses, spyware, worms, ransomware and all types of malware it detects. It also contains a battery saver feature, that will allow you to stay unplugged and online longer.
This software has an intuitive setup which means you can easily install it, renew it and upgrade it. Once it has cleaned your computer of any harmful files, the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will open without any errors.
ESET NOD32 Antivirus
ESET NOD32 Antivirus protect your computer removing viruses, spyware, ransomware, worms and any type of malware.
With that said, we can conclude this article. If you have any additional questions or suggestions, feel free to tell us in the comments section.
If the problem is persistent, don’t forget to contact the official support and provide necessary logs and screenshots.