3. Update Audio Drivers
- Right-click on the This PC icon on the desktop and select Manage.
- In the window which opens, select from the left menu Device Manager.
- Locate your audio device in the list, right-click it and select Properties.
- In the window that opens, select the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
- Instruct the wizard to search on the Internet for a suitable driver and let it install the updates it finds (if any).
Third time’s a charm, right? If both of the methods above have failed, then you might want to update your audio drivers, which might help if there was a problem with the installed drivers.
There are two methods of doing this, and we suggest you try them both. For the manual update you can use the steps above.
If the default driver update utility does not find an update, visit the website of your sound card’s manufacturer and download from there the latest driver.
Install the driver and that should fix your problem. Additionally, if none of the solutions are working, try the microphone (is you have a headset with a microphone) on a different computer.
We also recommend the tool below to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC.
This recommended solution can repair and update your drivers in just one go and just a few clicks. Don’t worry because it’s very simple to use.
Most of the time, the generic drivers for your PC’s hardware and peripherals are not properly updated by the system. There are key differences between a generic driver and a manufacturer’s driver.
Searching for the right driver version for each of your hardware components can become tedious. That’s why an automated assistant can help you find and update your system with the correct drivers every time, and we strongly recommend DriverFix.
Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for the detection of all your faulty drivers.
- DriverFix will now show you all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for the app to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your PC components drivers working perfectly without putting your PC to a risk.
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
4. Enable app access to microphone
If you’re running the Windows 10 and you noticed the built-in microphone is not working with particular apps and programs, make sure that the respective software can access your microphone.
The OS automatically blocks app access to your microphone due to privacy concerns. For more information on how to fix this minor issue, check out this step-by-step guide.
5. Disable audio enhancements
Audio enhancement software can help you improve the overall sound quality on your Windows 10 computer, but sometimes these programs can cause more harm than good.
If your built-in laptop microphone stopped working after you installed or updated an audio enhancement software, try disabling it to see if this solves the problem.
6. Reset Windows Audio Service
- Go to Search, type Services page.
- Locate the Windows Audio service.
- Right-click on it and select Start if the service is not enabled. If it’s enabled, then select Restart.
- Wait for a few seconds and restart your computer.
If nothing worked, and you still can’t use your built-in computer microphone, try resetting the Windows Audio Service. Follow the steps above to get it done.
We hope that our solutions helped you fix the internal microphone not working issues, and you can now communicate without any problems. If you have any other suggestions, leave us a comment below.