When drivers are outdated, PCs often start becoming sluggish and cause noticeable performance problems, including video issues like the ones you currently experience.
Suppose you need to update the driver, but you don’t know how to properly complete the task? Install DriverFix and update all your drivers with one click.
Yes, that’s all it takes to get back to enjoying your videos and have your computer running like new again.
4. Check if the proper codec is installed/run Optimize compatibility
If videos are not playing in browser on Windows 10, it could be that you don’t have the proper codec installed.
For example, someone could send you a PowerPoint presentation with media based on a codec that your PC doesn’t have.
WinX HD Video Converter Deluxe can fix the video not playing on Windows 10 error by converting video formats/codec to MP4, MKV, WMV, AVI, MOV, H.264, etc.
This process happens fast and efficiently, and the end results ensure professional-level quality.
Simplifying the process of converting the files that can’t run on Windows 10 by using this incredible software allows you more time to ensure that all the other elements of your project ar up to standard.
On top of these, that’s your chance to get access to any video, regardless of codec HEVC/H.264 or frame rate.
5. Install missing plug-ins
You may be missing Adobe Flash or Silverlight plug-ins that could enable video playback, especially for Internet Explorer.
Get the right or missing plug-ins and then check if the video is playing again.
6. Open video in browser
- Open Internet Explorer.
- Click Tools.
- Click Manage Add-ons.
- Under Add-on Types, click Toolbars and Extensions.
- Under Show, click All add-ons.
- Select the Flash and Silverlight add-ons.
- Click Enable and try playing the video again.
Some sites have online videos that cannot play from other applications. Try opening through your browser by pressing Esc to dismiss the video, right-click on the video, and click Open Hyperlink.
If it doesn’t open, check that the plug-ins are enabled.
7. Check for all available Windows updates
- Click Start and select Settings.
- Click Update and Security.
- Click Windows Updates.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Install the updates that are pending.
If you can’t open the Setting app, take a look at this detailed article to solve the issue.
Keeping up your system up to date is important, and if videos won’t play on your computer, then be sure to download the latest Windows updates.
8. Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering
- Click Start and select Control Panel.
- Select the Network and Internet option.
- Select Internet Options.
- An additional window titled Internet Properties will open.
- On this window, select the tab labeled Advanced.
- You will see a section titled Accelerated Graphics.
- There is a check-box underneath labeled Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering. Check it.
- Scroll down the list until you see an additional section labeled Security.
- Find the checkbox labeled, Enable 64-bit processes for Enhanced Protected Mode*, and check it.
- Now select Apply and OK.
- Restart your browser, and try watching a video again. If it still does not work, restart your device and try again.
This solution is quite simple, but it might help you if videos won’t play on your laptop.
You can’t open Control Panel? Take a look at this step-by-step guide to find a solution.
9. Turn off the X-reality setting
If you’re using a Sony VAIO, you can fix the Videos not playing on Windows 10 issue by checking the settings.
Something in the pre-installed Sony software prevents playback, so go to the VAIO control center app, under the Image quality tab, and find the X-reality for mobile setting. Turn it off.
Did any of these solutions fix Videos not playing on Windows 10 issue? Let us know by leaving a comment in the section below.
Also, leave there any other suggestions or questions you may have.
FAQ: Learn more about videos
- What are the best video players for PC?
The best video players for PC include VLC Media Player, GOM Media player, and more.
- What are the best video editors in the world?
The best video editors in the world include Adobe Premiere Pro, Power Director, Adobe After Effects, and more.
A codec is a device or software that is used to compress or decompress a digital media file, such as a video or song. The lack of a codec means that you will be unable to play that video or audio file.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in April 2018 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.