3. Run PSP9 in high-performance mode on dual graphics-cards
- Go to NVIDIA Control Panel and select Manage 3D Settings.
- Select the Program Settings tab.
- Check if PSP is available in the program dropdown menu. If it’s not, add it.
- Click on the Add button and select PSP 9 and then enable high-performance on the NVIDIA processor.
- Click Apply and wait until the system validates the changes
- Launch PSP9 to see if the issue persists.
If your computer has 2 graphics cards, this may explain why PSP9 won’t run on it. Your computer assumes that PSP9 is a low requirement program, and won’t run it in high-performance mode, resulting in a black screen.
4. Update your OS
Make sure that you’re running the latest Windows OS updates on your machine. As a quick reminder, Microsoft constantly rolls out Windows updates in order to improve the system’s stability and fix various issues.
To access the Windows Update section, you can simply type update in the search box. This method works on all Windows versions. Then go to Windows Update, check for updates and install the available updates.
This is a simple solution, but it can help you if you’re having Paint Shop Pro 9 issues.
5. Repair your registry
- Go to Start > type cmd > right-click Command Prompt > select Run as Administrator.
- Now type the sfc /scannow command.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete and then restart your computer. All corrupted files will be replaced on reboot.
- Go to Start, type defender and double click Windows Defender to launch the tool.
- In the left-hand pane, select the shield icon.
- In the new window, click the Advanced scan option.
- Check the full scan option to launch a full system malware scan.
You can also use Microsoft’s System File Checker to check for system file corruption. The utility verifies the integrity of all protected system files and repairs files with problems when possible.
The simplest way to repair your registry is to use a dedicated tool, such as CCleaner. Don’t forget to first backup your registry in case anything goes wrong.
6. Run a full system scan
Malware may cause various issues on your computer, including program compatibility issues. Perform a full system scan in order to detect any malware running on your computer.
There you go, we hope that the troubleshooting steps listed above helped you to fix the Paint Shop Pro bugs that you encountered on Windows 10. Use the comment section below to tell us which solution worked for you.
FAQ: Learn more about Paint Shop Pro
- Does PaintShop Pro work on Windows 10?
PaintShop Pro is compatible with Windows 10. The tool will run perfectly smoothly on Windows 10 provided that your computer meets the minimum system requirements.
- Is Corel PaintShop Pro as good as Photoshop?
Corel PaintShop Pro is an excellent graphic design and photo editing software but it does not pack as many features as Photoshop. Use these quick fixes if it doesn’t work on Windows 10.
- What are the best programs for photo editing?
To discover the best programs for photo editing, browse our top picks in this detailed article.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in September 2017 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.