Most motherboard manufacturers have instructions on their website on how to update BIOS, so if you’re planning to update your it, make sure that you read those instructions first in order to avoid any unnecessary damage.
If you don’t know how to update BIOS properly, here’s an excellent guide to learn all about it.
4. Update your graphic card driver
- In the Search bar type Device Manager and select it from the list of results.
- Find the Display adapters section and expand it. Right-click your device in the Display adapters section and choose Uninstall from the list.
- Check Delete the driver software for this device and click on Uninstall.
- After the current driver has been removed, restart your computer.
In addition, you might want to update your graphics card drivers. If you use a desktop PC, go to your graphics card manufacturer’s website and download the latest drivers for your graphics card.
If you use a laptop, go to your laptop manufacturer’s website, find your laptop model, and download the latest drivers for it.
Updating the drivers manually can create additional problems on your PC if you install a wrong version of them.
As a result of that, we recommend you to update your drivers automatically using a third-party software. Thus, you will prevent file loss and even permanent damage to your PC.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix.Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
5. Check for hardware malfunctions
Sometimes a red screen can be caused by faulty hardware, and users have reported that a faulty graphics card can cause this problem.
If your computer is under warranty, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to take it to the repair shop to have it checked for hardware malfunctions.
Few users have reported that a red screen was caused due to a faulty graphic card, and after replacing the problematic card, everything went back to normal.
There are also reports that CD/DVD readers may cause this issue in some rare cases, so you might want to temporarily remove your CD/DVD reader.
6. Remove recently installed software
- Click the Start button and choose Settings.
- Click on Apps.
- In the left pane choose Apps & features. Find the recently installed software on the list, click it, and then click the Uninstall button.
Sometimes in order to fix this problem, you need to remove all files associated with the software you uninstalled. The fastest and most effective way to do that is to use an uninstaller application.
If you need an uninstaller app, we strongly recommend you to try IObit Uninstaller. It’s extremely simple to use thanks to its clean and friendly user interface.
If you don’t know anything about IObit Uninstaller, this is an excellent tool that not only can wipe out all traces of an application, but it also warns you if you’re trying to install any harmful applications.
After running this software, your computer will run faster, and you will be surprised by how much hard drive space you will reclaim.
7. Reinstall AMD drivers without Catalyst Control Center
- Remove your currently installed graphic card driver.
- Download the latest AMD drivers.
- Run the setup and extract files to a specific folder on your computer (remember where you extract these files because you’ll need them later).
- If the setup automatically starts, cancel it.
- Open Device Manager and expand the Display adapters section. Find your graphics adapter and right-click it. Choose Update driver.
- Choose to Browse my computer for driver software.
- Find the folder where AMD drivers are extracted and click Next to install the drivers but make sure that the Include subfolders option is checked.
- Restart your PC.
8. Recover the atikmdag.sys file
- Open the AMD driver folder and find atikmdag.sy_ file. Copy it to your Desktop.
- Search for cmd and click on Run as administrator to run Command Prompt.
- In Command Prompt, change your current folder to Desktop. You can do that by typing the following line and pressing Enter on your keyboard:
- Type the following and press Enter to run it:
- Go to the following folder and find atikmdag.sys: C:WindowsSystem32Drivers
- Rename the file to atikmdag.sys.old.
- Now move the atikmdag.sys file from your Desktop to C:WindowsSystem32Drivers
- Restart your PC.
9. Change the settings.ini file
- Open Documents, go to the BFBC2 folder, and find the settings.ini file.
- Find the following line:
and change it to:
- Save the changes, and try to run the game again.
Note: Users report that the red screen affects Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and in order to fix this issue, you need to change the game’s settings.ini file.
10. Underclock your graphic card
Sometimes underclocking your device can fix the red screen issues on Windows 10. Few users have reported that lowering the original takt rate on AMD 7870X graphic card has fixed the red screen issues for them.
Once again, if you don’t know how to underclock your graphic card, ask a professional to do it for you.
Red screen issues in Windows 10 can be quite serious, and in most cases, these issues are related to your hardware, so while fixing this problem on Windows, be careful to avoid any potential damage.
As always, make sure to leave your comments in the section below.