Disclaimer: some functions of this tool are not free.
2. Change driver letter and path
- Right-click on This PC
- It’s probably on your desktop, but you can access it from the File Manager, as well.
- Click on Manage and Management window will show up.
- Go to Disk Management.
- Find your second hard disk drive, right-click on it and go to Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Go to Change and choose the letter for your partition from Assign the following drive letter:.
- Click OK, close all windows and restart your computer.
Maybe your hard disk is properly connected and works well, but if it doesn’t have a letter by its name, you won’t be able to access it from This PC.
So, we’re going to change the drive letter and hopefully, the hard disk will show up again.
3. Recover damaged Windows hard drive
In many cases, users need their second hard drive in order to recover their data from it. If it is not detected, we recommend you to use a data recovery software.
Paragon Backup & Recovery is an advanced backup and recovery software that allows users to perform complex recovery tasks with ease.
Recuva Professional version offers virtual hard drive support, automatic updates and premium support as well. This is a recommended solution to quickly fix your issue.
If you have some important data on your external HDD, be sure to try one of these tools. If you’re not happy with them, you can find additional ones in the link below.
That would be all.
If you have any comments or suggestions, feel free to reach for the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about secondary hard drives
- How many hard drives can I have connected to my PC at a time?
Each hard drive requires one drive letter per partition, and there are 24 drive letters. As such, you can have up to 24 hard drives.
- Why should I use a secondary hard drive?
The main advantage of secondary hard drives is that while one that is faster, such as an SSD, can be used for computing purposes, the slow ones can be used purely for storing personal data.
- What do I need in order to connect multiple hard drives to my PC?
Setting aside the 24 hard drive limit, you will also need a power supply of sufficient capacity. If you want to see if your PC can cut it, then use one of these tools.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in April 2018 and was revamped and updated in December 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.