4. Run the BSOD Troubleshooter
- Open the Settings app and go to the Update & Security section.
- Select Troubleshoot from the menu on the left.
- Pick BSOD from the right pane and click Run the troubleshooter.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the troubleshooter.
If updating your drivers didn’t get the job done, we can try Microsoft’s built-in troubleshooter for BSOD errors. This is probably the easiest solution for almost any BSOD issue because it basically solves the problem for you.
5. Update Windows 10 and all your drivers
Blue Screen of Death errors are often caused by hardware and software issues, and in order to avoid them, it’s highly recommended that you update Windows 10 as often as you can.
Microsoft is constantly releasing updates for Windows 10 via Windows Update, so be sure to download them.
Many of these updates fix certain hardware and software glitches, therefore if you wish to avoid BSoDs, we strongly suggest that you keep Windows 10 up to date.
In addition to downloading Windows 10 updates, it’s just as important to update your drivers. Windows 10 utilizes your drivers in order to communicate with your hardware.
If a certain driver is out of date, or just not compatible with Windows 10, you’ll probably get a BSoD error such as SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION. To fix these types of errors you have to update all your drivers.
Updating drivers is relatively simple, and you can do it simply by visiting your hardware manufacturer’s website and downloading the latest drivers for your device.
While downloading drivers, be sure to download drivers for all major hardware components.
Update drivers automatically
Searching for drivers on your own can be time-consuming. So, we advise you to use a tool that will do this for you automatically.
Using an automatic driver updater will certainly save you from the hassle of searching for drivers manually, and it will always keep your system up to date with the latest drivers.
Some of the most common Windows errors and bugs are a result of old or incompatible drivers. The lack of an up-to-date system can lead to lag, system errors or even BSoDs.To avoid these types of problems, you can use an automatic tool that will find, download, and install the right driver version on your Windows PC in just a couple of clicks, and we strongly recommend DriverFix.Follow these easy steps to safely update your drivers:
- Download and install DriverFix.
- Launch the app.
- Wait for the software to detect all your faulty drivers.
- You will now be presented with a list of all the drivers that have issues, and you just need to select the ones you’d liked fixed.
- Wait for DriverFix to download and install the newest drivers.
- Restart your PC for the changes to take effect.
Keep your Windows safe from any type of errors caused by corrupted drivers, by installing and using DriverFix today!
Disclaimer: this program needs to be upgraded from the free version in order to perform some specific actions.
6. Run the SFC scan
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following line and press Enter:
- Wait until the process is done (it may take a while).
- If the solution is found, it will automatically be applied.
- Now, close the Command Prompt and restart your computer.
The next thing we’re going to try is the SFC scan. This is a command-line tool that scans your computer for potential issues and resolves them.
So, it might be helpful when dealing with the SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION error, as well.
7. Run DISM
- Right-click Start and open Command Prompt (Admin).
- Paste the following command and press Enter:
- Wait until the scan is finished.
- Restart your computer and try updating again.
The third troubleshooting tool we’re going to try is DISM. As its name says, Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) reloads the system image, resolving some potential problems on the way.
We’ll walk you through both standard and the procedure that utilizes the installation media below:
- With the Windows installation media
- Insert your Windows installation media.
- Right-click the Start menu and, from the menu, choose the Command Prompt (Admin).
- In the command line, type the following commands and press Enter after each:
- Now, type the following command and press Enter:
- Make sure to change an X value with the letter of the mounted drive with the Windows 10 installation.
- After the procedure is finished, restart your computer.
8. Find and uninstall problematic applications
Sometimes certain applications can cause this error to appear, therefore it’s crucial to find and remove those applications.
It’s worth mentioning that almost any application can cause the Windows 10 system license violation error, so you might have to do some research before you find the problematic one.
You should also know that recently installed or recently updated applications can cause this error too, therefore if you updated or installed any new app before the BSoD error started appearing, uninstall it.
One common cause for Blue Screen of Death errors is your antivirus software. Almost any antivirus software can cause a BSoD error, so be sure to remove any third-party antivirus programs that you have installed.
To completely remove an antivirus program you should use a dedicated removal tool. Many security companies offer these tools for their software, so be sure to download one for your antivirus program.
9. Enter Safe Mode
- Start Automatic Repair while restarting your computer during the boot.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings.
- Click the Restart button.
- When your computer boots, select Safe Mode with Networking or any other version of Safe Mode.
If the problem is caused by certain software, you’ll be able to tell that by entering Safe Mode.
Safe Mode starts only with basic drivers and software, therefore, if your issue is caused by a certain application or a problematic driver, your system should work without any problems in Safe Mode.
10. Perform System Restore / Windows 10 reset
- Start Automatic Repair by restarting your computer few times during the boot.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore.
- Select your username and enter your password and click Continue.
- Pick Choose a different restore point, and select a restore point you wish to return to.
- Click Next and wait for the process to finish.
According to the users, they managed to fix SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION error by performing System Restore.
If System Restore didn’t fix the issue, you should try performing a Windows 10 reset. This procedure is similar to clean install, therefore be sure to back up all important files from your C partition.
Note: It’s also worth mentioning that you might need a Windows 10 installation media to complete this step, therefore you should use the Media Creation Tool to create a bootable USB flash drive.
To perform Windows 10 reset, do the following:
- Start Automatic Repair.
- Choose Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
- If you are asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, be sure to do so.
- Select Only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files and click Reset.
- Follow the instructions and wait for the reset process to complete.
After the reset, all your installed applications and files will be removed, including any software cause for the BSoD. If the error appears again, it’s most likely that you have faulty hardware.
11. Check for faulty hardware
Your RAM can be the common cause for BSoD errors such as SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION, therefore be sure to test your RAM first.
There are plenty of specialized tools you can use to perform detailed tests of your RAM, so make sure that you download one. If RAM is not the problem, check if other major hardware components are working properly.
Any recently installed hardware can cause these types of issues, especially if it’s not fully compatible with your PC. If you installed any new hardware recently, be sure to remove it or replace it and check if that fixes the error.
SYSTEM_LICENSE_VIOLATION BSoD error can be troublesome, but we hope that you managed to fix it by using one of our solutions.
Do share your troubleshooting experience with us via the comments section below.