If the problem is still there, your last option would be to completely remove your antivirus. Once you remove the antivirus, you need to check if the issue is still there. If not, maybe it’s time to consider a different antivirus solution.
Many antivirus tools, such as BullGuard, have a Gaming Mode feature that will optimize your antivirus for gaming sessions and prevent it from interfering with your games.
Keep you PC information secure and your internet sessions cyber threat free with this amazing tool!
5. Reinstall Games for Windows Marketplace software
There are several ways to reinstall an application, but the most effective method is to use uninstaller software. In case you don’t know, uninstaller software is a special application that can easily remove any application along with all files and registry entries associated with it.
By using uninstaller software you’ll ensure that the selected application is completely removed, and prevent any leftover files from interfering with your system.
There are many great uninstaller applications on the market, but one of the best is IOBit Uninstaller 10 Pro, so be sure to try it out.
After you remove Games for Windows Marketplace software, install it again and the problem should be completely resolved.
IOBit Uninstaller 10 Pro
Don’t miss out on this essential tool that completely removes unwanted programs and deletes malicious files!
6. Reinstall Microsoft Silverlight and Games for Windows Live
- Uninstall these applications in the following order:
- Microsoft Games for Windows Live and Games for Windows Marketplace
Windows Live Essentials
Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant
Any installed .NET frameworks
- Restart your computer
- When the computer restarts, install these components in the following order:
- .NET framework
Windows Live ID Sign-in Assistant
Games for Windows Marketplace
Microsoft Games for Windows Live
- Sign in and your issue should be resolved.
7. Install Games for Windows Live separately
Games that require Games for Windows Live usually install it by default, but in some rare cases files can get corrupt and you won’t be able to sign in to Games For Windows Live.
In order to fix this problem, it’s advised to install Games for Windows Live separately from the game you want to run.
8. Disable the proxy
- Open the Settings app. You can do that quickly by using Windows Key + I shortcut.
- Once the Settings app opens, go to the Network & Internet section.
- Select Proxy from the menu on the left. In the right pane, disable all options.
After disabling your proxy, check if the problem is still there. If you still want to protect your privacy online, a better choice would be a VPN. There are many great VPNs on the market, and one of the best is Cyberghost VPN so you might want to try it out.
9. Rename the Content directory
- Press Windows Key + R and enter %localappdata%. Now press Enter or click OK.
- Now navigate to the MicrosoftXlive directory.
- Locate the Content directory and rename it to Content_bak.
After doing that, try to launch the game again. If everything is in order, you should be able to start your game without any issues.
10. Use System Restore
- Press Windows Key + S and enter system restore. Select Create a restore point from the list of results.
- Now click the System Restore button when System Properties window appears.
- System Restore window should now open. Click Next to proceed.
- Now check Show more restore points option, if it’s available. Choose the desired restore point and click Next.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to restore your PC.
Once the restoration process is finished, check if the problem is still there. Keep in mind that this isn’t the most reliable solution, but if you didn’t have any issues with Games for Windows Marketplace until recently, then this solution might be helpful.
Can’t sign in. The Windows Live ID or password you entered is not valid error message can create all sorts of problems with older games, but we hope that our solutions helped you fix this problem.
We’d like to hear your opinions on this matter so please leave us your comment in the section below.
FAQ: Learn more about Windows Live errors
- How do I log into Windows Live?
Usually when users want to use Games for Windows Marketplace, they encounter an error that doesn’t allow them to log into Windows Live, so check out how you can solve this issue with our guide on fixing Windows live id not working error.
- How do I fix games for Windows Live?
See how you can easily solve this problem in just a few easy steps with our article about fixing Games for Windows Live errors on Windows 10.
- How do I fix windows live mail error?
Take a look at our complex article about the best solutions on how you can fix Windows Live Mail error on Windows 10.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in April 2016 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.