3. Select the Print as Image option
- First, open the PDF document that doesn’t print in Acrobat.
- Click File and Print to open the window shown in the image directly below.
- Press the Advanced button to open further options.
- Select the Print As Image option on the Advanced Print Setup window.
- Click the OK button.
- Then press the Print button.
Some Acrobat users have confirmed that selecting the Print As Image option fixes the An error occurred while printing the document error. A PDF document might contain images and fonts that can’t be rendered.
Selecting Print As Image prints the PDF as a rasterized image of the document instead. Acrobat users can select the Print As Image setting as described above.
4. Remove documents from the print queue
- Open Cortana by clicking Type here to search on the taskbar.
- Enter the keyword printer in the search box.
- Then click Printers and Scanners to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the printer you’re trying to print the PDF with.
- Press the Open queue button to open the window directly below.
- Click Printer and choose Cancel All Documents if there are documents in the queue.
- Restart Windows after clearing the print queue.
There might be some documents stuck in the printer queue. If so, emptying the print queue could help if Adobe cannot print document. Follow the guidelines above to clear the print queue in Windows 10.
5. Turn off PDF/A View Mode
- To do that, click Edit and choose Preferences in Acrobat.
- Click Documents on the Preferences window to open the settings shown directly below.
- Select Never on the PDF/A View Mode drop-down menu.
- Then press the OK button.
- Open and print the PDF in Acrobat.
Turning PDF/A View Mode off has fixed the the document could not be printed error for some Acrobat users, so be sure to try it.
6. Open the document in Google Chrome or alternative PDF software
This resolution is more of a workaround than a fix. Remember that you can print the PDF from alternative software.
So, try opening the document in Google Chrome or another browser that supports the PDF format.
To do that, right-click the PDF file you need to print and select Open with > Google Chrome. That will open the PDF in Chrome. Then users can click the Print button to print out the document.
Alternatively, users can print from alternative PDF software. Foxit Reader, PDF Annotation Lite, and Xodo are three notable alternatives to Adobe Acrobat.
Click the Free Foxit Reader Download button on Foxit’s website to save the installer for that software. Then open the Foxit Reader’s setup wizard to add the software to Windows.
This is a workaround, but it could fix An error occurred while printing the document message, so feel free to try it.
7. Convert the PDF to a DOCX document
- Open the PDF to DOCX page in a browser.
- Select the PDF to DOCX tab.
- Press the Upload Files button to select a PDF to convert.
- Then select Download All to save the new DOCX document to a folder.
- The document downloads as a compressed ZIP.
- Thereafter, open the DOCX document in a word processor and print it from there.
Acrobat users can also convert the PDFs they need to print to Word DOCX documents. Then users can open the documents in MS Word, or other word processors, to print them.
This is a workaround, and you’ll have to repeat it for every affected document, but it’s still useful if Adobe cannot print the document.
Those are some of the best resolutions for fixing this error.
Let us know which one of the solutions enlisted solved The document could not be printed error for you in the comments section below.
FAQ: Learn more about PDF files
- Can not print PDF Windows 10?
In order to print PDF files on a Windows 10 PC, you should open the PDF file with Adobe Acrobat Reader and go to the File menu. Select the Print option, then choose to Print as Image and validate the action by clicking the OK button.
- How do you unlock a PDF file?
In order to unlock a PDF file, you should open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader and go to the Tools menu, then select Protect ->Encrypt, and finally, click on the Remove Security option.
- How can I remove password from PDF file free?
There are several online apps that you can use directly in your browser like PDF Password Remover Tool or Instant PDF Password Remover.
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in February 2019 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.