These tools are designed to remove all files and registry entries associated with the problematic application, so be sure to use one for your applications.
If you’re looking for an uninstaller application, we recommend the excellent tool below.
Not only will it remove any apps that are preventing you from installing an antivirus, but it will get rid of residual files as well since this too can contribute to such issues.
3. Clean your PC with a dedicated tool
According to users, sometimes this issue can be caused by temporary files on your PC. To fix this problem, you need to remove temporary files.
There are several ways to do it, and the simplest one might be to use a dedicated tool. You already have the Disk Cleanup tool embedded in Windows but that doesn’t have too many features.
If you want to use a more complex tool, you might want to try using the solution recommended below.
This tool comes with advanced features and it will clean your temporary files as well as your registry, so feel free to try it out.
4. Turn off Windows Defender
- Go to the Settings app, and then to Update and security.
- Go to Windows Defender tab and click on Open Windows Defender Security Center.
- Navigate to Virus & threat protection.
- Select Virus & threat protection settings.
- Uncheck Real-time protection.
Windows Defender is Microsoft’s built-in security tool, which protects your Windows 10 if you don’t have any other antivirus installed.
It shouldn’t make any problems with the third-party antivirus, but maybe some features of the antivirus conflict with Windows Defender, and that’s why you can’t install it.
So, try to turn off Windows Defender, and then install the third-party antivirus.
Now your Windows Defender is disabled, and you can try to install your antivirus program again.
5. Check if your antivirus is compatible with Windows 10
If you’re using some ‘less famous’ antivirus, there’s a chance that it’s not compatible with Windows 10.
So, just in case, check out our list of all antivirus programs that are compatible with Windows 10, and if your antivirus is not on the list, you should consider getting a new protector of your system.
If you’re looking for antivirus that works with Windows 10, we already gave you a couple of recommendations in Solution 1.
6. Run a SFC and DISM scans
6.1 Run a SFC scan
- Press Windows Key + S, type cmd, and click on Run as administrator to open Command Prompt as administrator.
- If Command Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell (Admin).
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following command and press Enter to run it:
- SFC scan will now start. This scan can take about 15 minutes, so be sure not to interrupt it.
Once the SFC scan is finished, check if the problem still persists. If the issue is still present, or if you were unable to run SFC scan, you’ll have to run DISM scan as well.
6.2 Run a DISM scan
- Start Command Prompt as administrator as shown in the previous solution.
- When Command Prompt starts, enter the following line, and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- DISM scan will now start. This scan can take up to 20 minutes or more, so don’t interrupt it.
When the DISM scan is finished, check if the problem still persists. If the problem is still present, or if you were unable to run SFC scan before, try to run it again. After running SFC scan again, the issue should be resolved.
If your Windows 10 prevents antivirus install, the issue might be file corruption. Your system files can become corrupted and that can lead to this and many other problems.
Fortunately, there are several ways to fix file corruption on your PC. One of the easiest ways is to run an SFC scan.
SFC scan is designed to repair a corrupted Windows 10 installation.
7. Perform a Clean boot
- Press Windows Key + R and enter msconfig.
- Press Enter or click OK.
- System Configuration window will now open. Navigate to Services window and check Hide all Microsoft services.
- Click the Disable all button.
- Navigate to Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- A list of startup applications will appear. Right-click the first item on the list and choose Disable from the menu.
- Repeat this step for all startup applications on the list.
- After disabling all startup applications, close Task Manager and go back to System Configuration window.
- Now click on Apply and OK to save the changes.
- After doing that, restart your PC and check if the problem is resolved.
Third-party applications can interfere with your antivirus, and prevent you from installing it. If your Windows 10 prevents antivirus install, you might be able to fix the problem by performing a Clean boot.
This is rather simple and you can do it by following the steps above.
After you install your antivirus, enable all startup applications and services once again.
8. Restart the Windows Audio service
- Press Windows Key + R and enter services.msc. Press Enter or click OK.
- When Services window opens, locate Windows Audio service.
- Right-click the service and choose Stop from the menu.
- Wait for a few moments, right-click the service again and choose Start from the menu.
After restarting the service, try to install your antivirus again.
If your Windows 10 prevents antivirus install on your PC, the issue might be your services. Speaking of services, users reported that Windows Audio service is a common cause for this problem.
To fix the issue, you need to find this service and restart it.
9. Disable Fast Startup
- Press Windows Key + S and enter power settings.
- Choose Power & sleep settings from the list of results.
- Now select Additional power settings.
- From the menu on the left, select Choose what the power button does.
- Now click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) option and click on Save changes.
Windows 10 comes with an interesting feature called Fast Startup. This feature combines shutdown and hibernation into one allowing your system to boot faster.
Although this is a useful feature, it can lead to certain issues. Speaking of issues, few users reported that this feature can prevent you from installing certain applications, such as your antivirus.
After doing that, the Fast Startup feature should be disabled. Keep in mind that your PC might boot a bit slower after disabling this feature.
That’s it! We hope that our solutions helped you fix the problem with the antivirus not installing in Windows 10 and you were able to do that. If you have any other suggestions, leave them in the comments section below.