Devices with front-facing cameras are able to recognize your face and the iris of your eye, allowing you to sign in without touching the screen or touching your keyboard.
Microsoft modern keyboards with Fingerprint ID let you use the fingerprint reader to sign in. However, some users have reported they got the windows hello is preventing some options from being shown error.
Because of this, they are unable to log in to their devices properly and instead have to use other log-in methods. This issue apparently happens after a Windows update. There are a couple of things you can do to fix it:
Some of these things include:
- Restarting your device or computer
- Ensuring Windows Hello is correctly set up
- Making sure you’re connected to the Internet (or you’re online) because Windows Hello won’t work when you’re offline
- Turn Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID off, then back on again. This refreshes the Bluetooth connection
- Check the keyboard battery. If the light just above the Up arrow key flashes in red color, the battery is low. Connect the USB cable that came with the Microsoft Modern Keyboard with Fingerprint ID to your keyboard and computer. If the light blinks white, it is charging.
- Redo your fingerprint. This helps when the fingerprint wasn’t properly recorded or was not read accurately.
Once you have checked the above, try to sign in using Windows Hello again, and see if the error persists. If the above doesn’t bear any fruit for you, then try the solutions described below to fix it.
How can I fix the Windows Hello preventing sign-in options?
1. Set up Windows Hello again
- Click Start.
- Select Settings.
- Click Accounts.
- Click Sign in options to set up Windows Hello.
- Under Windows Hello, choose the option for fingerprint (you’ll get either face, fingerprint or iris if your PC supports it).
- Sign in with a quick swipe.
Note: you may be asked to add a PIN before setting up Windows Hello.
2. Sign in with a PIN or password then set up Windows Hello again
- Go to the Start Menu.
- Then select Settings.
- After, select Accounts.
- Then, select Sign-in options.
- Follow the steps for each Sign-in method you wish to set up.
- Try restarting your PC and see if everything works now.
If windows hello is preventing some options from being shown, your fingerprint didn’t scan correctly, or you used the wrong finger to sign in, you can use the alternative ways to log in.
In this case, use a PIN or password to sign in, and then set up Windows Hello again as in solution 1.
PIN isn’t working on your Windows 10 PC? Find out how you can fix the problem in a couple of simple steps.