3. Extract the EPUB file and archive it again
- Download and install WinRar or 7zip.
- During the installation, don’t forget to allow the application to create the shortcut in the contextual menu.
- Right-click on the corrupted EPUB file, and choose Extract here.
- Select all extracted files (it should be 3), right-click on one of them, and choose Add to archive.
- Replace the extension file format to epub and click OK at the bottom.
Although, a lot of this depends on the capabilities of your EPUB reader.
4. Convert EPUB
A great solution to convert EPUB files in order to fix the issues is Epubor Ultimate.
You can convert a bunch of books to EPUB, PDF or Mobi, and the converted books will be displayed exactly the way they are, without data corruption.
The process is as simple as drag and drop: get books from the left side library, choose an output format, and click the Convert button.
That’s all you need to do, and this smart converter will fix your corrupted EPUB files.
This converter supports input formats: KFX, EPUB, PDF, AZW, AZW1, AZW3, AZW4, Mobi, PRC, TPZ, Topaz, TXT, and HTML.
It has the ability to convert these into EPUB, Mobi, AZW3, TXT, and PDF (Common font size and large font size).
The trial version is limited to 2 files only, which is enough for you to test its capacity and buy the product if you’re happy.
- Download and install Calibre.
- Set up Calibre, and add the corrupted EPUB file to the library.
- Right-click on the book and choose Convert books, and then Convert individually.
- In the top right corner, select the output format.
- You can go with the EPUB again or convert it to PDF.
- Click OK.
Another option is to use Calibre. Follow the above steps to successfully convert the EPUB to EPUB (or PDF).
Other users managed to completely salvage the content of a corrupted EPUB file by converting it. The usual procedure is to convert it to a PDF format and move from there.
However, you can even convert an EPUB file to, well, EPUB. It sounds ludicrous but that’s allegedly a way to solve the problem.
So, if the PDF file format doesn’t suit your needs, you can use a converter to replicate the corrupted file.
FAQ: How to open EPUB files
- How can I open an EPUB file?
EPUB is one of the formats in which ebooks come in. In order to open these files, you will need software dedicated to opening ebooks. Our recommendation is Adobe Digital Editions.
- How do I convert an EPUB file to PDF?
- What app opens EPUB files?
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in September 2018 and was revamped and updated in January 2021 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.